Sunday, February 7, 2010

Valentines Gift







































I bought these wooden 2 x 2 blocks for $1 each and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. Today after staring at them for awhile I had an epiphany! I needed to make a valentines gift for my fiance and I wanted to do something for his desk at work that wasn't the typical picture frame. I sanded the little guys first b/c they were a little rough. I had bought some glossy paint at Michaels when it was on sale. Now the funny part was I thought I bought red and silver so I started to paint with the red first.....and then I thought Ok I'll use half red and half silver...well I didn't read the bottle very good because it was extreme glitter not silver. I have never been so happy I made a mistake! After the red paint dried I coated them with the extreme glitter.....








Then It was time to decorate! I've been itching to use my vinyl again so I cute out the H loves F with the Wild Card Cartridge and the XO with the Sweethearts cartridge. I wanted to say that is my favorite side but really I love all of them....I also used the Wild Card and Sweethearts cartridge to cut our wedding date out and the rings.....








The pictures I resized in adoble..used permenant spray adhesive to attach them to the blocks and then sealed everything with mod podge. I also used some Valentines Day stickers I had gotten from targets $1 bin (woo hoo for the $1 bin) on a few sides. I love the way this turned out. I thought a lot about putting the pictures to size on the block but I just loved the red paint and glitter so much I wanted it to be seen on all sides.....Of course I'm no good at being patient so I had to give it to him already....lol

4 comments:

  1. I bet he loved them! These are great! I love the red and the glitter, and I think letting some of it show through on all sides was a good call! Awesome gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heather! What a super idea! Will definitely be on the lookout for some of those blocks AND the extreme glitter paint. How cool! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. You have such great ideas. Thank you for commenting on mine. As to your question, SCAL is a program called sure cuts a lot. It works with your cricut, but you can use any font on your computer. It is fantastic. I dont know if you have the cricut design studio, it works on a similar line. You can go to thescrappingtable.com and she explains it in more detail.

    I love your etching too. Wonderful blog.
    Have a happy day.

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a FUN project!! I just love photo gifts. They turned out great. I too love the glitter paint. Perfect for valentines day.

    As for your question on my scrapblog. I do love the Love Struck cartridge. I cut out the mailbox and it was fun. It has cute hearts and my favorite are the conversation hearts :)

    ReplyDelete